Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Setting discussion

         The setting for an action film is very important. Imagine if The Dark Knight took place in  Carmel, California, the film would not hold as much weight. The setting contributes to the themes, mood and tone of a film. For my movie opening I need to find a setting that is fit for spy film. My opening is going to involve two parts. The first part will be someone with a briefcase getting kidnapped which would be one of the hooks of the opening as the audience would want to stay to find out what was in the briefcase and who did the kidnapping. The second part would be where a man gets a text from an unknown number about how his services are needed and then the opening would end. This would provide a second hook, where the audience would want to stay to find out who sent the text and who the person is receiving the text. 

        Since my film is a spy film, the setting of where the main plot is going to have to be wherever the briefcase was taken. Since, I am doing the opening, that really is not important. I only need to find an appropriate setting for where a kidnapping would take place. After deliberation I thought it was best if the kidnapping happened while the man with a briefcase was driving and someone stopped him in the middle of the road and took him out of the car and threw him in the trunk of his car. The actual location like city of the kidnapping would be unimportant, but it is more so the ambiance of a road where there are not many cars. The setting and ambiance is crucial in developing a hook because if the setting does not have a mysterious mood, people may not be as interested in it. 
        For the second part of my opening, the main character will be in a car watching people in a park when he gets the text. This is meant to create some sort of mystery of who he is and where his life is at the point where he gets the text. The park can be any park and again the city location is not important to plot just the overall ambiance. I need to find places around me that exist that fit the descriptions I have set, but for the park I think I have already found one, but for the first part of the opening I am going to have to research more to see if there are any places like that around my house. This is probably one of the more important aspects of this opening because a proper setting with proper ambiance can help to hook an audience.







        





        

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Opening post

         After nearly 2 months of work I am finally done with this project. Surprisingly enough the CCR proved to be harder to construct tha...