Saturday, February 13, 2021

Genre preliminary discussion

            This is the first post of my project. I have already run into my first issue of choosing a genre for my film opening. Obviously, just by virtue of being a high school student I am limited in my ability to make a movie opening, further complicating matters is the COVID situation. I have no siblings and the obviously due to COVID, I do not want to ask too many people for help with my filming, so I am going to need to fund a genre that not only uses limited amount of people, but also a limited setting because I do not want to go to many places. Right now, I am torn between an action movie and a horror movie. I feel like the opening for either of those movies can be limited to one or two settings and can be fit to accommodate fewer actors than other genre's might. 

            I think there are benefits to both. A horror movie would only need one setting and I can create an opening where whatever horror monster I come up with claims its first victim and the audience will be introduced to the horror movie. On the other end, with an action movie, I can set up the setting and also use a limited amount of characters and in the opening I introduce the main character as well as introduce the audience to some of the plot. I feel like Horror would involve less setting and actors, but would take more expertise to make so after I research I think I can come up with an apt decision.

            Moreover, when deciding between these two genres I am going to have to consider is capability and the products I have. Is it possible for me to create an effective horror movie without the high tech instruments movie makers use? The same question goes for action movies too. The first thing I am going to do is research other low budget films and see which methods are plausible given the equipment I have. This will be the biggest deciding factor in me picking one genre over the other. Moreover, I will need to look around my town to see if there are any parks or streets where I can film in an atmosphere that would fit the plot of my movie. If I cannot find a dark and gloomy place, then maybe horror is not the way to go. It is an interesting question, but one I am looking forward to answering in the coming weeks through my research.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Movie Opening post

         After nearly 2 months of work I am finally done with this project. Surprisingly enough the CCR proved to be harder to construct tha...